Who qualifies as a "member of the family"?
A “member of the family” of a beneficiary is considered any of the following:
- a son or daughter or a descendant of either
- a stepson or stepdaughter or a descendant of either
- a brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister
- the father or mother or an ancestor of either
- a stepfather or stepmother
- a son or daughter of a brother or sister
- a brother or sister of the father or mother
- a son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law or sister-in-law
- the spouse of the beneficiary or of any of the other foregoing individuals
- a first cousin of the beneficiary
For this purpose, a child includes a legally adopted child or a foster child and a brother or sister includes a half-brother or half-sister.